I am making my Memorial Day plans very late, but here are a few things I want to try to do today - come meet up anytime (times are approximate):
- 1230p - Stop by Shake Shack for a corndog: they only have it on the menu 3 times a year, apparently! Ends today, UWS location only - 77th and Columbus Ave (thanks to Lauren and Robyn for the heads up!).
- 2p - Check out some public art:
- Jaume Plensa's Echo, Madison Square Park - sculpture of a nine-year-old girl from Barcelona.
- Silver Andy Warhol Statute, NW Corner of Union Square
- Giant Roses on Park Ave bet 57-67, up until 5/31
- 5-11p - FREE Beer/Open Bar (5-6p) + BBQ Party @ The Empire Hotel (W 63rd bet Columbus + B'way) - RSVP here!
- 817p - Try to catch Manhattanhedge, which is only happening today and July 11th! I've been wanting to go! What is it? "...when the setting Sun aligns precisely with the Manhattan street grid, creating a radiant glow of light across Manhattan’s brick and steel canyons, simultaneously illuminating both the north and south sides of every cross street of the borough’s grid."
- 8p (will go late: ) - Go to the FREE NY Philharmonic Memorial Day Concert, St. John the Divine (1047 Amsterdam Ave)
Here are a few other quick things you can consider checking out as well:
- NYC Fleet Week - Last day to see some sailors and big ships!
- The Met is open! Hours are same as other Met Holiday Mondays, 930a-530p. Check out the Alexander McQueen "Savage Beauty" exhibit, which I hear is awesome.
- 2p - Largest Memorial Day Parade in the U.S....is in Queens (Northern Blvd)!
- Free public kayaking @ Downtown Boathouse
No matter what you do, don't forget to put on some sun screen: ) and go enjoy the day!