Tuesday, October 27, 2009

How to: Eat a Pomegranate

Pomegranates are one of my FAVORITE fruits, plus they are in season now (Oct. to Jan.) - Nov. is even Nat'l Pomegranate Month! - but they can be quite tedious to enjoy, as many of you know.

Wiki says: "The name "pomegranate" derives from Latin pomum ("apple") and granatus ("seeded")." Makes sense!

I've had many casual conversations about this fruit, what it looks like inside, how to eat it, etc. (yes, a great party starter haha) so here I show you in a few easy steps how to uncover the treasured gems, that I just learned are called "arils". I myself learned it from Alton Brown, and it changed my life! Sharing with you is the least I can do after not being able to resist buying one tonight at the grocery store: ). I'm literally enjoying the fruits of my labor now as I write this (hehe), so I can't wait for you to give it a try! Let's get started!

How to Eat a Pomegranate
by NYChar

1: Look at this beautiful pomegranate that I picked up at the grocery store today. I look for a few simple things: a nice red color, a firm shell, and heavy (so you know there are many good arils inside!). Depending where you get it from, price ranges from $2-$4 per pom. This one was perfect!


2: Wash the pomegranate, and then take a sharp knife and make 4 cuts to separate them into quarters, but don't cut all the way through (watch out for squirting red juice, it can leave a stain!). You should be able to carefully pry them into quarters from here.


3: Fill a good sized bowl with water. Take one of the quarters and start pulling the arils away from the thin white skins covering them. The key is to do this under water so you don't get any red juice on you. As you're doing this, the weight of the arils will carry them to the bottom, and the white skin will float to the top, effectively separating the seed from the shell.


4: Once you finish taking the arils out, scoop away the shell and white skin and dispose of them properly. Hard part is done!


5: I usually strain it next to make it easier to pull out any white remains. Take out your favorite bowl and drop them in!


Ta-Da! You're done! Time to enjoy!


It's great on it's own, or over a salad or dessert (or Pinkberry: ). Very healthy too!

Feel free to share your own pomegranate stories - ENJOY!!