We were looking for a dinner place for another HS friend Ken L., who's coming in town this weekend, and after 25 fb messages back and forth (granted, there are 7 people chatting haha), Jeboody came back with this great list first thing this morning that I wanted to share (I reformatted it so it's prettier, hehe), and so I can keep it on file for later! Let me know if you're interested in trying anything with me!
JEFFRY'S QUICK NY RESTAURANT LIST (that I stole from our FB converstions):
If you want...
- oh taisho! will be ok w/more than 6 people, i've been there w/ more. but of course, you'd have to wait.
- alternatives: go! sushi or that yokoso restaurant above the supermarket nearby. i can't remember the name
- you should go to ippudo (we're going!) and get kogashi miso ramen.
- if you got a hankerin (we're from the south? haha) for katsu, go to katsu-hama like charlene (me!) suggested, it is really good. don't let the indian waiters fool you, it's a pretty japanese place.
- the takoyaki/okonomiyaki (no idea what it is, but i'm ordering it!) place is called otafuku. both their takoyaki and okonomiyaki are good. but any place you go to like oh! taisho is going to have this stuff.
...Italian by a japanese chef - (interesting)
- go to dieci on 10th b/w 1st & 2nd.
- there's also basta pasta, a lot more japanese influence here.
...French, try la sirene, pretty good.
...pizza, try artichoke (14th b/w 1st & 2nd ave) or bleeker st pizza (bleeker st and something)
...Mexican style corn and you're in soho/nolita area, go to at cafe habana (elizabeth & prince - the to-go place).
...brunch, go to jane or the smith (smith on sunday, only day they serve brunch). their country breakfast is good (cuz of cheddar grits - yum!) and french toast. i know jane takes reservations so that's useful. of course there are more popular brunch places out there but these are good alternatives to waiting in line.
- momofuku milk bar is worth going to for the blueberry cream or cornflake/marshmellow/chocolate cookie.
- nearby all of this is also chikalicious to-go place (and the regular restaurant), but get the sundae and/or smores cupcake at the chikalicious to-go place.
- and if you're ever in Midtown East, where bloomingdale's is, go inside bloomie's to 40 carrots and get their froyo.
I bet there are many other restaurants he would suggest if asked, but I'm just saying--this is impressive for for an immediate response, right? Thanks for letting me share your picks, Jeffry: ).
What do you think, out there? I think it's time to eat!