Friday, January 6, 2012

Winter JazzFest NYC: 1/6-1/7

I've been on the fence about going - not because of the event itself because I love jazz, but just because of scheduling.  In the end I decided to get a 2 day pass - and mostly because I think I'd regret it more if I didn't go!  

Thanks to Melanie C. for the heads up and for organizing a group to go.  In her words: "I went last year, and it was awesome. You pay one fee for the night and then get unlimited entry to multiple jazz venues in the west village area.  It's a lot of fun, and the music is good."

ABOUT: "The 2012 NYC WINTER JAZZFEST will continue to redeem the rich jazz heritage of the Village and again will bring jazz fans back to Bleecker Street.  The 2012 NYC WINTER JAZZFEST includes over 60 of today's most interesting jazz groups from New York, Brooklyn, Chicago, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Switzerland, Israel, Cuba, Morocco, Turkey, and Italy."




 


Thankfully, I know an insider to the jazz world (an accomplished musician himself!) Victor L. who gave us the following recos for sets to see tonight, most of them his friends:
  • 745p @ Sullivan Hall - Julian Lage Group  (I've met and heard him before - seriously amazing).
  • 845pm @ Zinc Bar - saxophonist Miguel Zenon 
  • 945p @ Le Poisson Rouge - violinist Jenny Scheinman has a great band called Mischief and Mayhem
  • 1200am @ Kenny's Castaways - saxophonist Rudresh Mahanthappa
  • ...and if you're REALLY up for it, go check out Big Sam's Funky Nation at 200am @ Sullivan Hall.
For the full schedule, click HERE.
To buy a 1 day or 2 day pass, click HERE - and use discount code CAAL to get $10 off (NOTE: consider getting a 2 day, it comes out cheaper than just getting a 1 day!)

Have a great, jazzy weekend!