Yes, it gets cold in New York, and days like today (on and off drizzle of rain) doesn’t make living here much better, but we are blessed to be able to celebrate the holidays in such a great city, which I think makes it all worth it. There’s just something magical about this time of year, and we should celebrate each day this season, as much as possible. And there are lots of things to help us do just that (most of them are FREE too!) – here are a few.
- 1230p + 6p: NY Theatre Ballet’s “The Nutcracker” Performance and Tree Lighting (evening only) – 100,000 lights! No tix needed [World Financial Center (200 Vesey St), Winter Garden - directions].
- 7p: Bryant Park Tree Lighting - Check out this 53 foot tree with 3,000 ornaments, topped off with a night of free performances (on ice, b’way, and music - headliner: Sarah Maclachlan). [42nd bet 5th and 6th Ave]
- 7p: Rockefeller Christmas Tree Lighting – A whole line up of musical guests including Justin Bieber, Michael Buble, Mariah Carey and more light up Rockefeller Center and one of NY’s most iconic Christmas trees filled with 30,000 LED lights – and a Swarovski crystal on top! [W48 & 51 Bet 5th and 6th Ave]
- Unless you can get there really early (5p?), or have an office you can watch the show from (if you do, let me know haha), I would recommend watching on TV (NBC is airing it live at 8p) and checking out the tree on another night. Even with this weather, it will be packed out in true NY style.
- Now thru 12/24 - South Street Seaport 40 ft tree + light show, M-F from 5-10p, every hour on the hour
- Lincoln Center – 63rd and B’way
- About.com’s top 7 NYC Christmas trees
- Free Admission to the Bronx Zoo OR NY Aquarium in 2012, with donation of new, unwrapped toy OR 10 nonperishable food items
- Also upcoming at the Bronx Zoo – ice sculpture competition, presents to the animals (details TBC), see here. http://www.bronxzoo.com/plan-your-trip/events-calendar/ice-sculpting-weekends.aspx
- This Wknd 12/3-12/4: Big Apple Dancesport Challenge – Amateur ballroom competition at Columbia Univ, Free to watch day session, with professional showcase at night, more details on the website.
- You can see me dance if you come at the right time: )
· ICE SKATE
- Now Open: Ice skating rink @ The Highline (under Standard Hotel) - $12 admission + $3 skates.
- An even better deal: City Pavilion ice skating in LIC - $5 M-F, $8 Sat and Sun + $5 skate rental [Indoor, 1 stop after Queensboro Plaza on the 7]
- Today 11/29 – Sat 12/3: J. Crew Sample Sale - 60% (to 90%, some reports say?) off! [Opens at 10a + T-F until 8p, Sat until 6p | 260 5th Ave bet 28th and 29th st]
- Now Thru 4/1: Brooklyn Flea Market/Fort Greene has moved inside to 1 Hanson Place. Great place to find some unique gifts!
- New fave market: Artist and Fleas in Williamsburg – we like Helena's jewelry (bouh)!
- Preview on 12/15, open 12/16 – 12/31: Chelsea Market Holiday Pop-Up Shop
- Now - Thru 11/30
- Now - Thru 12/23: She Kills Monsters @ 7p – fantasy role-playing show based on Dungeons & Dragons, Pay-What-You-Can on Tues, $10 Matinee on Sat (reg $25) [The Flea - 41 White Street between Church and B’way]
- New movies on my list: The Muppets, Hugo, Tin Tin, Arthur Christmas, Puss in Boots (why not: )