Sunday, February 21, 2010

NYCOpera: Puccini's Madame Butterfly

UPDATE 3/1: I bought tix for Sat Apr 10th, $12!!  Still lots of time to come with us!  Stop by the box office at Lincoln Center to get the tix (bldg on left, when you're facing the fountain).  We have a great group coming so far - it'll be fun!

I know it's a tragic love story, but I feel like Madame Butterfly is just one of those must see productions, and I have yet to see it!  And there's no excuse not to, because tix for this production at New York City Opera start as low as $12!  This production in particular recently won an Emmy too, which makes it even more worth seeing.

There are only 9 productions, from March 19-April 18, and I'm looking at tickets for one of these shows:

  • Sun Mar 21 @ 130p
  • April 4 (Sun), 10 (Sat), or 18 (Sun) @ 130p
My first choice is Saturday April 10th @ 130p, and I'm planning to purchase them at the theater to save on extra fees: ).  Let me know if you're interested ASAP, and we can find a time to meet at the theater to get tix together!


Madama Butterfly
Mark Lamos's Emmy Award-winning production captures the romance and pathos of this heart-wrenching tale. The radiant Shu-Ying Li reprises her role as the trusting geisha, whose love for her American naval officer ends tragically when Eastern and Western cultures collide.

New York City Opera is located at the David H. Koch Theater
Columbus Avenue at 63rd Street, New York, NY

Running time: 2 hours 55 minutes with two intermissions
Performed in Italian with English supertitles